The Guidepost, then called Greenhouse Showcase, was established nearly four years ago with the intention of ushering in our newest users. Participating members were to peruse the Greenhouse in search of valuable new perspectives, clipping their articles to the group. This 'sifting' service became valuable to those wanting to support and encourage new users without having to deal with hoards of spam.
The group has since been going through a re-purposing, extending its scope of support to all users and becoming a sort of support system in addition to the Guides, who undoubtedly cannot reach every user. This is also a great way to retain and inform new users, adding invaluable new perspectives to the mix.
Below are the guidelines that will be used to help maintain this focus.
- be familiar enough with Newsvine to comfortably explain most policies, features, guidelines, etc, or be capable of pointing someone in the right direction
- be able to offer support, encouragement and constructive-criticism to new users in a productive and positive manner
- be able to refrain from publishing/clipping your own or inappropriate content
- have the lifetime achievement vineacity branch
If you only want to read and comment on the content coming into the group, joining is not necessary. Just add it to your watchlist by clicking 'Add to Watchlist' on the group's front page.
If membership is requested without having the required branch, it will 'automatically' be approved when they are earned (excepting canceled requests). Please email if this hasn't happened (see below).
Sometimes encouragement means leaving inane comments like 'great article' or 'keep up the good work' but since you are setting example, please make a concerted effort to offer more than simple praise.
- articles from users without their longevity branch
- articles from any user that has a 'new user' type question in the comments section (you must begin a private group discussion, copy/pasting the comment link and specifying whether it was answered)
Although it's default, make sure to use the 'private' group discussion option.
Seeds are absolutely not accepted.
'The Guidepost' Participation
Here are the various ways to participate. Do one, all or in any combination.
- Read content coming into the group, offering Newsvine tips, encouragement, support and constructive criticism
- Peruse the Greenhouse, clipping any material not deemed spam
- Watch the private conversations box and answer questions
- Helping to moderate group content via group discussion
If you want to help fight spam, clip the offending articles to Newsvine Anti-Spam, pending membership approval.
Again, if you only want to read and comment, joining the group is not necessary, just add it to your watchlist.
Yes. This group has its own Gmail account: guidepost.newsvine.com@gmail.
By participating in this group, you are setting an example to all. For that reason, this group will be strictly monitored and moderated. In other words, bullshit will promptly be found and removed.
Guidelines are always subject to change, so if anything was left out or if you have suggestions, please leave a message (down below or by email).
Frankly, with the added content, I can't be sole content moderator of this group. Considering that this should be a community activity anyway, this isn't unreasonable. Everything else will remain the responsibility of the owner, which will not change at this time.
With that, the group needs a few co-administrators willing to aggressively enforce and develop these guidelines, maintain a dialog with the owner, as well as group promotion and maintenance (keeping it active). Please leave your 'application' below.
Readers, administrators found not doing their jobs will be promptly fired.
Thanks in advance for supporting your Newsvine community!